THIS is a dinner party and BBQ essential. It’s super easy to make and can be made in advance. Healthy, spicy and amazingly good, this is perfect with a salad, naan bread or great when added to a spicy tomato gravy.
500 grams skinless chicken breast or thigh- any size
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp greek yoghurt
2 tbsp chickpea flour/gram flour
2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
2 cloves of garlic chopped or 1 tsp dry garlic granules
1 green chilli chopped
1 tsp mild paprika
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp chilli powder optional (to taste)
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp chaat masala
Pinch cinnamon powder
Pinch of saffron crushed
Butter mixed with olive oil, lemon and pinch of paprika for basting
1. Add all of the above ingredients to form a thick paste like consistency.
2. Slice the pieces of chicken with small shallow cuts. This will allow the marinade to reach every part of the chicken. Stir well and tip in the chicken pieces and mix well making sure to coat them in the thick marinade.
3. Leave to marinate for a few hours or even overnight if you prefer.
4. When ready to roast, preheat the oven to 180C/fan/160C/gas 4 and lightly oil a baking tray. Place the marinated chicken on the tray and roast for 40 minutes. At 15 minutes baste with the melted butter mix and continue to roast in the oven for another 15 minutes. Baste again and then return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
5. If you are preparing the chicken for a BBQ then thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers (or depending on the size of your chicken pieces you can skip the skewers) and place them on a wire rack. Grill on the BBQ for 15-20 minutes. Turn the skewers/chicken pieces every 5 minutes & baste with melted butter.
6. Mix until the juices run clear and they are cooked through and charred around the edges.
Tip: Rub a piece of raw potato over the wire rack to avoid the chicken sticking to the grill.
7. Serve with fresh salad, mint sauce or naan.
One thought on “The Perfect Tandoori Chicken”